Thursday, February 16, 2012

Grocery Savings Tips #11-16

In the quest to save money on groceries, here are a few tips that are not very common and seem obsolete, but can actually make a big difference. Remember every little thing adds up!
 

Phone Apps




Now I'm sure this is a surprise for some of you. But this is so simple and easy!  I promise!

There are quite a few phone apps that require very little work and a lot of savings!

Here are a few I'm using:

ShopKick - Download and earn points which will earn prizes like gift cards! Earning points is easy.... You can collect them from walking in a store, scanning items, buying items or linking your visa! I promise it's that easy. Check it out and let me know what you think!

WeReward - Download and earn points for submitting pictures of yourself in stores or holding their products. This is rewarded with CASH! You connect it to your PayPal account. Again, so easy!

Checkpoints - Again this is the same concept. Download, earn points for visiting stores and scanning items. Then redeem points for gift cards, airline miles, etc.



FREE Samples


Free samples are a great way to help supplement your grocery bill. Not only do you get to try out new products, but they normally always come with a high value coupon! Also, they are mostly travel size items. I love to have these on hand to take on trips or stash in my purse.

Here are a few to get you started:


I love opening my mailbox and seeing what goodies are in there. :)

Also, I suggest having a "junk" email account. This is good to have even in you don't sign up for the free samples. Anything that requires an email address that you don't want to clog up your personal emails, send them to that one.


Making Homemade


I know that the thought of making things homemade can make some of you tremble. But I encourage you to attempt something! You may be pleasantly surprised! I definitely would not say that I am anything special in the kitchen. But I know how to follow a recipe and I'm not afraid to try new things!

Through experimenting with different things, I have found that a lot of things are waaay easier than I thought! Other things tasted great, but I felt it wasn't worth my time or savings. And of course some things were just a plain disaster!

But homemade products have more benefits than saving you money... Healthier! You decide the ingredients!

Here are some great things to start with:
  • Salad dressing
  • Vegetable, chicken, and beef stock. It’s virtually free, you've already bought the bones when you bought the meat in the first place.
  • Fresh bread - loaves or dinner rolls
  • Desserts - cookies, brownies, etc.
  • Breakfasts - waffles, pancakes, egg sandwiches, bagels, etc.


Use Your Freezer

 

Remember when we talked the other day HERE and HERE about not wasting food. Well your freezer can be your best friend when it comes to this! 

If you won't be able to use it before it goes bad... Stick it in the freezer.

If you find a great deal that you want to stockpile, but know it will go bad before you can use it all... Stick it in the freezer.

Get it???

What can go in the freezer???
  • Meat
  • Produce
  • Breads
  • Cheese
  • Eggs
  • Fresh herbs
  • Butter
  • Yogurt
  • Cream Cheese
  • Milk - haven't tried this, we go through it too fast




See the entire list of all 17 Grocery Savings Tips!

No comments:

Post a Comment